Convent, LouisianaTuesday, February 19, 2013
The Manresa House of Retreats in Convent, Louisiana:
At one time, it was Jefferson College -- a private school -- and was purchased by the Jesuits, now as a retreat center.
It holds retreats for men only, every weekend of the year except the last weekend of the year. Their capacity for each retreat is 111, and they average 108 men, so it's obviously popular. The retreats are made in silence.
Saint Michael the Archangel Catholic Church -- the cornerstone was laid in 1831 and the church dedicated in 1833. There's a grotto behind the main altar (the main altar imported from France in 1868) is made of bagasse clinkers. Bagasse clinkers are the byproduct of bagasse (spent sugar cane stalks) and a little iron, which makes a glass-like product.
Saint Michael School:
The cemetery behind Saint Michael's:
"Dedicated to the memory of our courageous Acadian ancestors who settled this area in the mid 1700s. Once buried here, most of their original graves have been lost to time and the river. Erected by the Bourgeois Famille Louisiane, Inc."