Hi, I'm Ginger, a 7th-generation Alabamian.
I am married to the best person I have ever known, and we are just smitten with our two sons -- who are just 15 months apart!
I love to travel, cook, read (nonfiction), and study folkways.
I enjoy self-taught / vernacular art, bottle trees, dioramas, chenille, seersucker, toile, Indian mound sites, WPA books, letterpress, gardenias, camellias, orchids, festivals, handmade things, and Southern traditions/culture/folklore.
I am a graphic designer. I like to make things look pretty.
I try to be a collector of experiences.
And I'm so happy you're here.
You can email me at:
ginger [at] deepfriedkudzu (dot) com
1. The cover of Juke Joint Soul CD
2. Courthouse protest in Harvard College Economics Review
3. Archibald's BBQ in Southern Belly
4. Katrina pics in Louisiana PBS documentary, Surviving the Storm
1. Home pics in an urban design and architectural pattern book for Michigan City, IN
2. Perry County Courthouse pic in Thicket Magazine
3. Boll Weevil Monument pic in the French Journal Insectes
4. Bryant Store pic in the Goodman Theatre, Chicago, magazine OnStage
5. Boll Weevil Monument pic and Coldwater Books pic in Thicket Magazine
6. Talladega Courthouse pic in Thicket Magazine
7. Various pics, Encyclopedia of Alabama
8. Several pics of Joe Minter's art environment for exhibit including him at Vulcan Park and Museum
9. Organizing feature at Apartment Therapy
10. Doe's Eat Place tamales at Gourmet.com
1. Mississippi Amish community pic in the Jackson Free Press
2. Interview with me about DFK in Thicket Magazine, Summer Issue
3. Several pics of B'ham and Alabama for an exhibit at Vulcan Park and Museum
4. Causeyville General Store pic used in web interactive game 'Adventure A-Go-Go' for Starwood Hotel's new brand, Aloft Hotels
5. Oxford Mound pic in the Indian Country Today newspaper (and a hundred other places)
6. Monroeville Courthouse / Mockingbird pics in Good Reading Magazine
7. Pensacola Futuro house pic used by New York Daily News
8. Benjamin Butler pot in the National Park Service's literature at Lowell National Historic Park
9. Moundville pics in educational film on indigenous people by University of Chile
10. Slugburger at SeriousEats
11. Oxford Mound for the Institute of Southern Studies
12. Indian mound pics used in the movie The New Daughter
13. Gift wrap station idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
14. Snowman cutout for yard fun idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
15. Star of David idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
16. Dreidel pad game idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
1. Several pics in the book Alabama's Civil Rights Trail: An Illustrated Guide to the Cradle of Freedom
2. Article featuring Deep Fried Kudzu in Exodus, the Samford University Magazine
3. Contributor, Best Road Trip Ever! iPhone App
4. Peaches Cafe pic for Barefoot Workshops Documentary
5. Poster in Crit Architecture Journal
6. Consultant on MS Culinary Trail for MS Tourism
7. Stone bath mat idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
8. W.C. Rice's Cross Garden image at Art21
1. Crawfish boil pic for Avia Boutique Hotels
2. Feature about DFK and making Easter baskets for children in homeless shelters, with a tutorial on naturally-dyed eggs, for the Publix Supermarket FamilyStyle magazine
3. Interview with me about DFK and travel in Alabama on the arts program, Tapestry, on the Bham public radio station, WBHM
4. Cover photograph of All Saints Chapel at Sewanee for UDC Magazine
5. Pics of Julia Tutwiler's church and monument for Escambia County Historical Society newsletter
6. Photograph of J.W. Renfroe building for company literature
7. Pic of American Village sounding board for Society of Colonial Wars book
8. Adjudicated grant applications for folk art fellowship, apprenticeship and roster for the Mississippi Arts Commission
9. Pic of a Koolickle for FoodandWine.com
10. Pic of Vincent Oliver's Hippodrome for Black & White
1. Gee's Bend Quilt Mural pic for Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail Movement book
2. Rural Studio Animal Shelter pic in Moundville Times
3.More images at Encylopedia of Alabama
4. Koolickle image at the BBC
5. 'I Heart Alabama Gulf Seafood' feature for Alabama Gulf Seafood promotion
6. Featured article about Deep Fried Kudzu in Sunday Anniston Star: Deep Fried Kudzu is Alabama Blogger's Love Letter to the South
1. Koolickle image for Scholastic's Action Magazine
2. Image purchased by McDonald's for local imagery in Tennessee
3. Source for 'Legends, Lore, and True Tales of the Chattahoochee'
4. Speaker, Alabama Community Scholars Institute, Alabama Folklife Association
5. Quoted, images for Yahoo! Shine feature on slugburgers
6. Consulted, Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods America for Birmingham show
7. Monroeville, To Kill A Mockingbird images for Australia's Good Reading Magazine
1. The Hermitage, Nashville, TN
2. Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, LA
3. The Alluvian, Greenwood, MS
4. Le Royal Meridien King Edward, Toronto, ON
5. Le Meridian (now Golden Tulip) Apollo, Amsterdam, Holland
6. Imperial Hotel, Copenhagen, Denmark
7. W New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
8. Le Meridien, Eilat, Israel
All-Time Favorite Shows:
1. The Waltons (The Waltons will always be my favorite show!!)
2. Downton Abbey, Little House on the Prairie
3. Six Feet Under and The Sopranos
4. Homeland and Curb Your Enthusiasm
5. Mad Men and Big Love
1. Sunset Boulevard
2. Gone with the Wind
3. Coal Miner's Daughter
4. Urban Cowboy
5. Muriel's Wedding
6. Mommie Dearest
7. Driving Miss Daisy
8. The Color Purple
9. Lost in Translation
10. Romantics Anonymous
Book: 'Let Us Now Praise Famous Men' by James Agee
Play: 'The Last Night of Ballyhoo' by Alfred Uhry
Poem: 'A Supermarket in California' by Allen Ginsberg
Singer: Eva Cassidy
Inspiration: Eugene Walter
1. Commander's Palace, New Orleans, LA -
Don't Miss: every single thing there is *amazing*. Be sure to have Creole cream cheese cheesecake for dessert, too!
2. Antoine's, New Orleans, LA -
Don't Miss: the fish, the soft shell crabs, and the baked Alaska...and the service is incredible.
3. Doe's Eat Place, Greenville, MS -
Don't Miss: steaks (one steak serves two easily) and tamales.
4. Chez Fonfon, B'ham, AL -
Don't Miss: everything here is great...even the hamburger is amazing!
5. Taylor Grocery, Taylor, MS -
Don't Miss: catfish, catfish, catfish.
6. Lusco's, Greenwood, MS -
Don't Miss: pompano, and the atmosphere - with the tables with curtains and the little buzzer.
7. Jacques-Imo's, New Orleans, LA -
Don't Miss: 'Godzilla Meets Fried Green Tomatoes'. Oh yes.
8. Big Bob Gibson's, Decatur, AL -
Don't Miss: barbecue and white chicken sauce. White sauce got started here.
9. Leatha's Bar-B-Que Inn, Hattiesburg, MS -
Don't Miss: beef ribs.
10. Drago's, Metairie, LA -
Don't Miss: charbroiled oysters.
11. Ninfa's, Houston, TX -
Don't Miss: (the original Ninfa's on Navigation) ohmygosh this place makes me so happy I can't wait to go back and have the entire rest of the menu.
12. The Bright Star, Bessemer, AL -
Don't Miss: trout almondine, snapper throats, prime rib.
13. Ezell's Fish Camp, Lavaca, AL -
Don't Miss: Ezell's is a *real* fish camp - right on the water with excellent catfish (obviously), fried pickles, and hush puppies.
14. Duchess Bakery, Cullman, AL -
Don't Miss: doughnuts early in the morning while they are still hot.
15. Gambino's Bakery, Metairie, LA -
Don't Miss: the Doberge: it is six layers of yellow butter cake with custard between each layer and the whole production is covered in fondant.
16. Rabideaux's Sausage Kitchen, Iowa, LA -
Don't Miss: anything and everything they have there is wonderful!! Bring a cooler.
17. The Dillard House, Dillard, GA -
Don't Miss: the process: your table automatically gets everything on the menu that day, and you can ask for more of whatever you like. Expect three or four main dishes, six or so side dishes, and dessert.
18. McGuire's Irish Pub, Pensacola, FL -
Don't Miss: Everything there is wonderful - especially the prime rib.
19. Wintzell's Oyster House, Mobile, AL -
Don't Miss: Wintzell's is just fun! Go to the original - the one downtown on Dauphin Street. Obviously famous for their oysters.
20. The Dinner Bell, McComb, MS -
Don't Miss: it's a revolving tables restaurant. Especially good dressing and eggplant.
21. Walnut Hills, Vicksburg, MS -
Don't Miss: making friends with everyone at your table. Another revolving tables restaurant.
22. Niki's West, B'ham, AL -
Don't Miss: whole fried flounder, and dozens of vegetables available, all of them excellent - when ordering, just think of your two or three favorite and chances are, they're available. Don't miss the rutabagas.
23. Bob's Clam Hut, Kittery, ME -
Don't Miss: Bob's may be a clam hut, but they make the most *amazing* lobster rolls.
24. Faidley's, Baltimore, MD -
Don't Miss: The crabcakes. Best ever. Ever.