Sculptor/artist, friend, John Farrer passed away this week.
He did this sculpture at the Alabama Veterans Memorial in B'ham:
John, you were much too young, and much too wonderful. Missing you terribly.
Hi, I'm Ginger, a 7th-generation Alabamian.
I am married to the best person I have ever known, and we are just smitten with our two sons -- who are just 15 months apart!
I love to travel, cook, read (nonfiction), and study folkways.
I enjoy self-taught / vernacular art, bottle trees, dioramas, chenille, seersucker, toile, Indian mound sites, WPA books, letterpress, gardenias, camellias, orchids, festivals, handmade things, and Southern traditions/culture/folklore.
I care for our cat named Eugene Walter, five bantam hens who go by Tallulah, Zelda, Nelle Harper Lee, Noccalula, and Julia Kathryn, and about a thousand red wigglers in a compost bin (each blessed with the name of an outstanding landsman).
I am a graphic designer. I like to make things look pretty.
I try to be a curator of kindness, goodness, and interesting experiences.
And I'm so happy you're here.
You can email me at:
ginger [at] deepfriedkudzu (dot) com
1. The cover of Juke Joint Soul CD
2. Courthouse protest in Harvard College Economics Review
3. Archibald's BBQ in Southern Belly
4. Katrina pics in Louisiana PBS documentary, Surviving the Storm
1. Home pics in an urban design and architectural pattern book for Michigan City, IN
2. Perry County Courthouse pic in Thicket Magazine
3. Boll Weevil Monument pic in the French Journal Insectes
4. Bryant Store pic in the Goodman Theatre, Chicago, magazine OnStage
5. Boll Weevil Monument pic and Coldwater Books pic in Thicket Magazine
6. Talladega Courthouse pic in Thicket Magazine
7. Various pics, Encyclopedia of Alabama
8. Several pics of Joe Minter's art environment for exhibit including him at Vulcan Park and Museum
9. Organizing feature at Apartment Therapy
10. Doe's Eat Place tamales at Gourmet.com
1. Mississippi Amish community pic in the Jackson Free Press
2. Interview with me about DFK in Thicket Magazine, Summer Issue
3. Several pics of B'ham and Alabama for an exhibit at Vulcan Park and Museum
4. Causeyville General Store pic used in web interactive game 'Adventure A-Go-Go' for Starwood Hotel's new brand, Aloft Hotels
5. Oxford Mound pic in the Indian Country Today newspaper (and a hundred other places)
6. Monroeville Courthouse / Mockingbird pics in Good Reading Magazine
7. Pensacola Futuro house pic used by New York Daily News
8. Benjamin Butler pot in the National Park Service's literature at Lowell National Historic Park
9. Moundville pics in educational film on indigenous people by University of Chile
10. Slugburger at SeriousEats
11. Oxford Mound for the Institute of Southern Studies
12. Indian mound pics used in the movie The New Daughter
13. Gift wrap station idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
14. Snowman cutout for yard fun idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
15. Star of David idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
16. Dreidel pad game idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
1. Several pics in the book Alabama's Civil Rights Trail: An Illustrated Guide to the Cradle of Freedom
2. Article featuring Deep Fried Kudzu in Exodus, the Samford University Magazine
3. Contributor, Best Road Trip Ever! iPhone App
4. Peaches Cafe pic for Barefoot Workshops Documentary
5. Poster in Crit Architecture Journal
6. Consultant on MS Culinary Trail for MS Tourism
7. Stone bath mat idea produced for Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine
8. W.C. Rice's Cross Garden image at Art21
1. Crawfish boil pic for Avia Boutique Hotels
2. Feature about DFK and making Easter baskets for children in homeless shelters, with a tutorial on naturally-dyed eggs, for the Publix Supermarket FamilyStyle magazine
3. Interview with me about DFK and travel in Alabama on the arts program, Tapestry, on the Bham public radio station, WBHM
4. Cover photograph of All Saints Chapel at Sewanee for UDC Magazine
5. Pics of Julia Tutwiler's church and monument for Escambia County Historical Society newsletter
6. Photograph of J.W. Renfroe building for company literature
7. Pic of American Village sounding board for Society of Colonial Wars book
8. Adjudicated grant applications for folk art fellowship, apprenticeship and roster for the Mississippi Arts Commission
9. Pic of a Koolickle for FoodandWine.com
10. Pic of Vincent Oliver's Hippodrome for Black & White
1. Gee's Bend Quilt Mural pic for Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail Movement book
2. Rural Studio Animal Shelter pic in Moundville Times
3.More images at Encylopedia of Alabama
4. Koolickle image at the BBC
5. 'I Heart Alabama Gulf Seafood' feature for Alabama Gulf Seafood promotion
6. Featured article about Deep Fried Kudzu in Sunday Anniston Star: Deep Fried Kudzu is Alabama Blogger's Love Letter to the South
1. Koolickle image for Scholastic's Action Magazine
2. Image purchased by McDonald's for local imagery in Tennessee
3. Source for 'Legends, Lore, and True Tales of the Chattahoochee'
4. Speaker, Alabama Community Scholars Institute, Alabama Folklife Association
5. Quoted, images for Yahoo! Shine feature on slugburgers
6. Consulted, Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods America for Birmingham show
7. Monroeville, To Kill A Mockingbird images for Australia's Good Reading Magazine
All-Time Favorite Shows:
1. Commander's Palace, New Orleans LA
5. Root, New Orleans LA
8. Ninfa's on Navigation, Houston TX
9. Lusco's, Greenwood MS
10. Ezell's Fish Camp, Lavaca AL
11. The Dinner Bell, McComb MS
12. Walnut Hills, Vicksburg MS
13. Niki's West, Birmingham AL
14. Bob's Clam Hut, Kittery ME
15. Faidley's, Baltimore MD