Paperwhites UpdateSunday, November 25, 2007
The very beginning of November, I started our first batch of paperwhites for the season (that post here) and I did the experiment that Cornell published, about adding alcohol to the water so that the plants don't get so tall & leggy.
Well, it works - really works! I asked Av to add a half-shotglass of gin to all the paperwhites in the house one week after they got started, except the paperwhite that's on the left in this picture, so we could see what the difference would be. The difference in height is about 10"! That one is kind-of spindly and not as upright, and the one that had gin is just as straight as it can be. Hmmm...I am adding gin to all my paperwhites from now on!