State of Alabama Confederate Memorial Park and Site of Confederate Soldiers' Home of Alabama, Marbury ALSunday, August 21, 2005
There are signs to the Confederate Memorial Park in Marbury, AL on I-65 - it's probably an eight-minute drive or so from the interstate to the park. Unfortunately, the on-site museum was closed, but here are pics from our visit:
State of Alabama Confederate Memorial Park, Marbury, AL
Pictured above is the monument to Jefferson Manly Falkner, who was a Confederate veteran and who donated the land that the park (and Soldiers' Home site) is on. Many of Alabama's veterans were in need - financially, physically - that Falkner gave about 80 acres (the park is on 102 acres today) on which was built 22 buildings including a hospital, with 25 beds.
The State of Alabama took over administration of the facilities in 1903, and limited the number of veterans who could live on-site at 100. Between 1914-1918, that number was exceeded, and rules were changed so that wives already living at the facility could remain doing so even after their husbands died. The Home was in operation from 1902-1939.
Veterans' needs were met - they were supplied not only with a place to live, but with clothes, food, medical care, and a place to be buried (there are two cemeteries, with a total of 313 burials). Between 650-800 veterans were served by the Confederate Soldiers Home.
Cemetery Number Two
The literature available outside the museum states that the United Daughters of the Confederacy were frequent guests and often brought gifts to the residents. Most important was Confederate Memorial Day in April each year (in Alabama, CMD is always the 4th Monday of April).
Bill Rambo, who is the site director of the park, was in charge of the Confederate reenactors at the funeral service of Mrs. Alberta Martin, the last Confederate widow, who died in 2004.
Old Marbury Methodist Church
Inside Marbury Methodist Church, on grounds of Confederate Memorial Park
Family Bible on Pulpit of Church
View from Pulpit
Simple and beautiful.